My IELTS and tips for you :)

By Red Pomelo - 6/07/2015 07:57:00 AM

Exactly 13 days after you have taken the exam, they will sent to you the TRF (test report form) - your results. I really thought that my heart was going to burst waiting for the 13th day. Hahaha. It did actually. But not vividly haha!

a TRF is something that looks like this :

taraaa!!
(it was edited but its mine, bukan curik punya hokayy)
*Please ignore that picture of me (yeah its a picture of me taken on that day during registration. its a mandatory process). Kembang muka aku jadiknya. Kuajaqq. 

If you meet me in person, i dont seem quite convincing. I mean, I may not look or sound like someone who can speak english properly. Haha. But, here it its. My results. Alhamdulillah. Cant explain how happy and grateful I am! Still do right now. For quite some time, during my preparation days, I felt so wrong to end my study as early as 3pm (start at 8am), felt guilty to watch tv, and whatnot. Its like "I HAVE TO DO THIS. ITS A RM650 EXAM". Cant bear to ask $$ anymore.. haha. So, as u can see, I got only Band 6.0 for my writing. So please bear with me hehe. Well, I may not able to teach you, but here some simple tips to get Band 7 :)

1) Please be prepared mentally and physically. This is a language course - it is something within you, things that people cant teach you/you cant learn in instant. So, make sure that you choose the right date so that you have ample time to prepare yourself.

2) Keep yourself busy with english reading stuff. Buy yourself Reader's Digest (i bought mine at 'novelhut' because they sell past season magazines that u can get at cheaper price like rm3 or rm4 per mags) if you hate reading newspapers (like me). It's a good start before you focus on ielts. (start on the 'laugh' section haha). Kalau malas jugak, belilah english based magazines - BAZAAR etc

3) THIS IS IMPORTANT. Please be familiar with IELTS formats and questions. Find yourself useful information bout ielts here. This website is very helpful, informative and precise. So make sure to make use of it. 

4) If I'm not mistaken, for those who registered ielts, there will be stg like 'road to ielts' by british council for the candidates. I'm not sure (because I didnt take it), but i think its like a free ielts preparation class. That part, you should check by yourself either through your agent or by own research. 

5) As for me, I solely studied on my own based on the website i've mentioned and ielts cambridge book (white cover, bought it at popular book store) cost about rm139. Its a bit pricey, but trust me, it helps :) So if you dont have the access to go for a class or to hire a tutor (means u depends on yourself only), dont be afraid to buy this rm139 book or else you have to take the exam again - double fee, double effort. 

6) THIS LINK contains all kind of examples for ielts questions you are looking for. So, make a HARD COPY, read not only the essays, but also the comments and critiques. Underline/highlight interesting sentences, vocabs, grammars and whatnot. Apa-apa je yang you can find from the examples. JANGAN MALAS. 

7) Now, by section. 
For listening, if u bought that book i've told you, there's a CD provided with listening practices. The conversations are mostly in British/American accents, so lembut2kan lah telinga mendengar percakapan omputeh. Or you can watch english movies (such as the Kingsman etc) without subtitle haaa >.< (tpi kingsman tu mcm deep sgt la pulak english dia, mmg susah nk faham takde subtitle haha)
As for speaking, bukak youtube. Banyak video yang akan membantu kt situ. Basically, the speaking questions are based on our daily life, routines, feelings, activities and so on. So be familiar with your surroundings and talk to yourself often. 
There's nothing much I can help you with reading section cause even for me, i did find it super hard. I just do all the test/practices exist in the book haha.
Writing tips is in (6)

After all, its all about yourself. Nak seribu daya, tak hendak seribu dalih. 30% books 70% you. So, its up to u to decide.

Last but not least, the most important thing is to PRAY. Apa pun yg berlaku, tawakkal la dengan sepenuh hati. But make sure la usaha yg setimpal. Jgn pulak tawakkal padahal duk goyang kaki tak study pun. So, good luck candidates !

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments